Silver Fins is a shallow water class offering lots of fun while improving agility, flexibility, and cardiovascular endurance. No swimming ability is required.The water is a natural cushion for your joints. Water exercise can this increase muscle tone and help them stay in shape with a very low risk of injury.Another appeal of the water class is the social aspect. For some of our participants, it’s their time to get out of the house and socialize. Usually everybody can do some form of water aerobics. Even people with polio, paralysis, Parkinson’s or multiple sclerosis can still participate with the advice of their doctor. The Silver Fins class offers quarterly luncheons/parties which have proved to be a lot of fun.
Though the program does not guarantee results in the form of better health and fitness, testimonials from participants are always positive.
- A majority of participants say they feel healthier or more physically fit after completing the program.
- Many participants find that they can move around easier, thus prolonging their independent lifestyle.
- The program boasts a very high rate of returning participants.
One of the main strengths of the program is our instructors. Our instructors are all certified by Aquatic Exercise Association (www.aeawave.com), and several carry additional certifications along with their Aquatics Fitness Instructor Certification. Each instructor continues additional educational requirements each year.
The instructors often provide hands-on assistance to any participants who may need assistance with the exercise.
Other benefits of water aerobics include:
- Walking and jogging in water can burn as many calories as walking and jogging on land.
- A person does not need to know how to swim in order to take advantage of water aerobic exercises.
- Water aerobics allows a person to exercise every muscle and every joint in the body all at the same time, while causing one’s body to be buoyant, which reduces stress and strain on muscles and joints.
The most important rule in a successful water aerobic program, however, is to follow the buddy system and never swim or perform water aerobics alone. Also, as with any exercise program, seniors are encouraged to talk to their health care professional or physician first before starting a water aerobics program.